Before I start this review, I must say that I’m rather surprised at people saying they must suspend their disbelief at the ‘human totem pole’
and the killer who managed to raise it by himself, after everything else that has happened in this series. This is, after all, a show in which
- a murderer managed to spirit his latest victim back into her bed without anyone noticing,
- another murderer set up a strange mushroom farm in a handy forest
- Lecter and Abigail managed to get a dead body out of a house that was surrounded by police (again without anyone noticing)
- ‘Oeuf’….just ‘Oeuf’ as an episode in general
- the ‘Angel-Maker’ somehow managed to string himself up in his barn after flaying open his own back
- Lecter made beer from Miriam Lass’s arm
- Lecter then went on to serve a banquet where everything on the table is human, except the tomatoes (and I am deeply suspicious about the tomatoes)
- and the last killer but one cut a man’s throat open, treated the vocal chords with various concoctions, stuck the neck of a string instrument down his throat and proceeded to play him like a cello.
I think we long ago passed the point where suspension of disbelief was an option. Actually, forget passing it, disbelief was being dangled over a cliff edge from the very opening of the show. And that’s not a bad thing. Besides, did Archimedes not say, ‘Give me a lever and a place to stand and I will move the earth’?